Pinxton Past and Present

In Anglo-Saxon times, Pinxton was a small agricultural community, thought to have been recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as “Esnotrewic.” It is also thought that it was known as “Snodeswic,” given by Wulfric Spott to Burton Abbey. In Norman times, along with a number of other manors, it was under the control of William Peveril, for whom it was held by Drogo fitz Pons. It is thought that he renamed the manor “Ponceston” and it gradually changed to Penekeston and then to Pinxton.